Going through some paperwork last week, I came across two notes my friend Hilary gave to me before a 5k awhile back. One was labeled, “If you win,” and the other, “If you lose,” and I was instructed to not open either until after the race.
The 5k ended up being kind of a bust, as uninformed volunteers sent half of us front runners on an extra quarter mile loop. In the confusion that followed, I was awarded 3rd place, even though I was certain I hadn’t done better than 5th. As the only runner wearing a Garmin, though, I had a verifiable time at the 5k mark and was an agreeable compromise for the governing bodies.
I felt a bit dirty walking off with an award. I had legitimately both won and lost, so I opened both notes:
I really got a kick out of these, so I kept ‘em. Its the mentality everyone should always have. You have no one to disappoint but yourself. You have no one to impress but yourself.
Best of luck to everyone running today. No matter the outcome, you are awesome.
- theroadtoslimcity likes this
- mar-kicksass said: Was that the 4Her Life 5K? Oh, that race was soooo disorganized. :)
- squirrelsandswings likes this
- chrystimoreorless likes this
- krismoves likes this
- beckyc likes this
- keepingupwithmcjones likes this
- thereluctantrunner likes this
- wunderkindchen likes this
- jay-r-bee likes this
- runningwithpoodle likes this
- rungentschrun likes this
- steelmangoes likes this
- regainingmymoxy likes this
- thatssowoolard likes this
- makingitupeachday likes this
- chocolatecocoaaddict said: Good Luck Today!
- chocolatecocoaaddict likes this
- justbrooksy likes this
- kateatahealthyrate likes this
- mrsfitwatcher said: GOOD LUCK TODAY, ABEL! Love and hugs!!
- slowestpoke likes this
- shortmom said: good luck today, hope the rain holds off!
- shortmom likes this
- spoonfulofvigor likes this
- carladoeslife likes this
- for-time likes this
- activeartist likes this
- runningwithguts likes this
- ironmanredux likes this
- with0utlimits likes this
- 6n6challenge posted this